students whose work I am
currently supervising or have
Below gives most of my former
theses and dissertation, but also see my publications
page for articles written with these students. A few notes on
the information below:
- In some
cases, the version of the thesis or dissertation below was created from
text written using old text formatting packages, which are no longer
(easily) available. So, the work is only an approximation to the
original work. Apologies to the author and the reader.
- I've listed
position and current position, when I know it. In some cases,
forgotten where people are now or I'm no longer in touch with
So, if you have more recent information, please let me know.
- Curtis Finley, M.S., 1989. A Multiprocessor SR
Implementation. current position: Programmer/Analyst, UC Davis, Department of Animal
- Daniel Huang, M.S., 1989. A Failure
Detection and Handling Mechanism for the SR Distributed Programming
Language. initial position: IBM Santa Teresa.
- Joseph Herman, M.S., 1989. A Comparison
of Synchronization Mechanisms for Concurrent Programming.
initial position: TRW (LA area); current position:
still there, but now part of Northrop Grumman.
- Richard Crawford, M.S., 1990. Topics in
Behavioral Modelling and Event-Based Debugging. current position:
UC Davis, UC Davis, Computer
- Carole McNamee, Ph.D., 1992. Compiler
Optimization of Interprocess Communication and Synchronization
Mechanisms. initial position: Professor of Computer Science, California State
University, Sacramento; now: something completely
- Wingshun Wilson Ho, Ph.D., 1992. Issues in
Debugging Sequential and Concurrent Programs: Methods, Techniques, and
Implementation. initial position: SGI.
- Wai-Man (Raymond) Lo, Ph.D., 1992 (co-advised with Karl Levitt). Static Analysis of Programs with Application to
Malicious Code Detection. initial position: SGI.
- Robert Shaw, M.S., 1993. (no thesis; worked on practical verification
environment for concurrent programs.) initial position: Intel.
current position: Novafora, Inc.
- Mandy Chung, M.S., 1996. Invocation
Viewing and Servicing in Concurrent Programming Languages: An Extension
to SR. initial position: HP (Cupertino).
- Kirk Bradley, M.S., 1997 (co-advised with Biswanath
Mukherjee). Detecting Disruptive
Routers: A Distributed Network Monitoring Approach. initial
- Tingjian Ge, M.S., 1998. (no thesis; did early work on JR.)
initial position: Informix; then: IBM; current position: Ph.D. student
in Computer Science, Brown
- Scott Miller, M.S., 1999 (co-advised with Biswanath Mukherjee). Specification of Network Access Policy and
Verification of Compliance through Passive Monitoring
- Gregory Benson, Ph.D., 1999. Implementation
Issues in Concurrent Programming Languages: A Framework for Thread
Specialization. current position: Professor and Chair of Computer Science, University of San
- Eugene Fodor, M.S., 1999. (no thesis; worked on interoperability for SR.)
current position: Z-World.
- Nicholas Puketza, Ph.D., 2000 (co-advised with Biswanath
Mukherjee). Approaches to Computer
Security: Filtering, Testing, and Detection. current position:
Lecturer of Computer Science, UC
- Takashi Ishihara, M.S., 2002 (no thesis; worked on cooperative
current position: SkyWave.
- Aaron Keen, Ph.D., 2002. Integrating
Concurrency Constructs with Object-Oriented Programming Languages: A
Case Study. current position: Professor of Computer Science, Cal Poly.
- Justin Maris, M.S., 2002. A
Comparison of Concurrent Programming and Cooperative
Multithreadingunder Load Balancing Application . current
position: GTE (Virginia).
- Chad Sterling, M.S., 2005. Automated
Bug Isolation via Program Chipping. current position: HP (San
Nang (Angela) Chan, M.S. 2005.
Enhancing the JR Concurrent Programming Language
with New Java 5.0 Features. current position:
- Billy Yan-Kit Man,
M.S. 2006. The Design and Implementation
of Partial Quiescence in a Concurrent Programming Language.
current position: PG&E, San Francisco.
- Nija Shi, Ph.D.
2007 Reverse Engineering of Design
Patterns from Java Source Code.
initial position: Oracle, Redwood
NASA Ames Research Center
RIACS (Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science)
- Matthew Roper, Ph.D. 2008
Application-specific Thread Schedulers
current position: Intel, Folsom, CA.
Wu, M.S. 2009.
co-advised with Raju Pandey;
NASA Ames Research Center
Todd Williamson, M.S. 2012
PySy: a Python Package for Enhanced Concurrent Programming.
current position: U.S. Department of Defense.